Our Riders Without Horses (RWH) program is perfect for those who are looking at horse ownership and want to get involved in Pony Club prior to taking the leap prior to committing to purchasing a horse. We provide non-horse owners the opportunity to not only learn more about horses and horse riding, but make great fellow horsey friends – all willing to help you out in your new journey.
Both junior and associate membership levels are available for RWH members, but spots are limited.
At Truganina pony club we aim to have fun whilst learning about horsemanship and sportsmanship in a team environment.
Our Riders without Horses program is a little different from other clubs as we aim to have at least one horse / pony available for “horse play” on Rally Days to allow for an interactive lesson. We believe that other clubs who run a RWH program are predominantly unmounted (that means no riding).
Our RWH Rally program includes fun interactive activities such as;
- Horse safety
- Basic horse care
- Basic riding skills
- Theory Lessons
- Games Lessons
Our RWH members can also work towards achieving their Pony Club Certificates (skill levels). Our instructors and fellow members are there to help and support you the entire way.
Benefits of becoming a full member:
- You are a member of an awesome friendly club!!
- Fully insured 24/7 for horse related activities with PCAV
- Eligibility to achieve recognized Pony Club Certificates
- You may be asked to join in on a Riding Member class during a Rally day, to assist the Instructor or possibly even ride.
- You’re not left out of our end of year presentations and break up celebrations.
If we can provide you with any information regarding the club or to answer any questions you may have please feel free to contact us, or pop out to a Rally Day to see what it is all about.
We unfortunately cannot always provide the opportunity for the Riders Without Horse members to be included in Pony Club interclub or local competitions – it all depends on the individual event’s rules. We do encourage our RWH Members to come along to support and assist their team mates where possible, as this is all valuable learning too.
All our RWH Members need to provide the following:-
- A parent or guardian if you are under the age of 18 years. This person must be available to sign applicable waivers and remain on site throughout the duration of the program. We welcome any assistance with Rally Day duties as a volunteer.
- Lunch money
- Water bottle
- Sunscreen and a hat for the summer months
We aim to have a variety of items available for loan to RWH Members on Rally Days however due to limited stocks and sizing we may not be able to assist all in this area. Although during the time of COVID19 we may be unable to share or loan out items. But we will do our best to make sure no one misses out.
Riding Boots – Ankle type fully enclosed shoes with a small heel
Your chosen footwear will depend on what activities you can partake in. Members with riding boots are able to participate in all activities within the program. The DC and or other authorised Committee member/s will access members “other footwear” and determine which of the planned activities the member can or can not participate in.
Approved Boots for mounted activities are as follows;
- Short Jodhpur,
- long boots,
- roper/dogger style boots Nb: Roper under moleskin trousers.
- Fully soled in smooth leather or rubber synthetic material. A Shallow ripple sole is acceptable.
- Long boots that are laced at the ankle are permitted (field boots) – Short boots that lace at the ankle with eyelets and billet hooks must be covered, either with a gaiter or chappette or can be taped over. The objective is for the boot to be able to slide backwards out of the stirrup easily but not forward through the stirrup.
Jodphur Style is preferred. Moleskin trousers are also acceptable.
The DC and or other authorised Committee member/s will access members “other style of Long pants” as required and determine which of the planned activities the member can or can not participate in. For further information, please contact us.
Polo Top (Short or Long Sleeved) Our club colours are Royal Blue and White – These colours are preferred but not compulsory for come and try day participants. Club polo shirts are available to purchase.
All Riders must wear a PCAV certified helmet when mounted, stamped with Standards AS/NZS 3838, EN1384 or ASTMF1163. These can be purchased from a saddlery in store or online. If needing help with sizing please see DC or Secretary for advice.
We do ask that parents buy their children their own helmets, as we are unable to share helmets during COVID-19. If needing assistance in this the DC or Secretary will try and help you in the best way they can.